10 The Best Free Antivirus Protection in 2019 for Windows
The Best Free Antivirus Protection in 2019 for Windows – A good antivirus program is essential for a secure system, and you definitely don’t have to pay for one to get great protection. Below is our carefully selected list of the 10 best free antivirus programs that you can download for Windows today.
All these programs perform definition updates automatically, always run to make sure your files are protected against malware and your personal information remains private, and they can start scans on demand whenever you want.
However, each of them has some important differences that make them stand out, so pay attention to those who decide which one to use.
Best Free Antivirus Software to Protect your Windows
Avira Free Antivirus Software
What we like
- Password manager included.
- Optional additional downloadable protection layers.
- Antivirus process in the cloud.
What we don’t like
- Additional features can be annoying.
- Only protect Chrome and Firefox browsers.
- Additional components often require a fee to be fully functional.
The main component of the free Avira software package that makes it stand out is the optional “cloud detection” feature called Protection Cloud. This scanning method allows the Avira antivirus tool to identify and stop threats before they get out of control.
This is how it works: when a suspicious file is detected on any computer running Avira, a fingerprint of that specific file is generated and uploaded anonymously in Avira so that they can scan it and report its status (whether safe or dangerous) each user from Avira so that the program can take appropriate measures.
Avira can scan and remove existing threats, as well as automatically detect and stop new ones. It protects it against ransomware, Trojans, spyware and other types of malware. You can even choose which ones to actively monitor and disable others (although not recommended) such as bookmarks, jokes, adware, etc.
The Features of Avira Free Antivirus
- Scan on a schedule
- Verify files with any file extension or only those you choose manually
- Disable the ability to stop active scans (so that viruses cannot prevent the program from finding them)
- Adjust the scanner priority level
- Scan master boot sectors
- Follow symbolic links to scan the actual files
- Search for rootkits before starting a scan
- Scan the Windows registry
- Ignore files on network drives
- Repair, rename, quarantine, automatically delete or ignore threats when they are found
- Use heuristic scan
- Add files, folders and processes to the ignore list
- Manage Windows Firewall settings
- Password protect program settings
- Block automatic execution on removable devices
- Make the hosts file read-only
- The Avira suite offers more than a very extensive antivirus application. It includes several other security “layers” that will be installed automatically, and downloading may take a while, as there are several. However, you don’t have to use them and they won’t bother you unless you open them.
These separate modules include a VPN that encrypts all your traffic (up to the first 500 MB each month); password manager to securely store complex passwords; and a software update program that identifies obsolete programs and provides download links to update them.
In addition, Avira can speed up your computer and reduce startup time with its tuning tool, help you find the best deals while shopping online and warn you about malicious websites or software packages before downloading them (with its SafeSearch-in add-on) .
These additional features can be annoying if you are strictly looking for an antivirus solution, but again, you don’t have to use them; Just keep them hidden where they are and you won’t have to worry about them.
Avira Free Security Suite is designed to run on computers running Windows 7 SP1 and later, including Windows 10 and Windows 8.
ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus Software
What We Like
- Updates automatically.
- Includes a free firewall.
- Can run scheduled scans.
What We Don’t Like
- Heavy on system resources.
- Slow installation.
Our review of ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus
ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus, also called ZoneAlarm Security and ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall, is just what you think: antivirus software with a built-in firewall tool. Not only does it have protection against threats such as spyware, viruses, Trojans and bots, but there are also firewall shields to prevent intruders from reaching your computer files.
Here are some other important features of this free antivirus tool:
- Real-time cloud-based security updates that rely on millions of other users to stop threats quickly
- Player mode blocks interruptions during the game, such as scans, updates and alerts; you can configure all alerts to be automatically denied or allowed
- Lock the ZoneAlarm configuration with a password to avoid changing your configuration
- Make a backup copy of the program security settings and restore it later
- Run quick or complete analyzes on a schedule
- The network firewall can filter all programs with “suspicious behavior” alerts that you must explicitly allow or deny
- The firewall allows you to block fragments, trusted servers and public servers, as well as enable ARP protection, filter IP traffic through port 1394, allow / block VPN protocols and block the hosts file
- Set up suspicious credit activity notifications.
ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall works on Windows 10, 8 and 7.
Avast Free Antivirus Software
What we like
- Add-ons allow you to increase protection.
- Great customization
What we don’t like
- The password manager and some other tools included are for trial only.
- Additional features require purchase.
Our review of Avast Free Antivirus
Avast is used by hundreds of millions of people and occupies a prominent place in almost all “best lists” of antivirus programs, and for good reason. If you want a solid program that is likely to block new threats but is easy enough to customize, you should consider using it.
Avast Free Antivirus is similar to Avira; Supplementary modules enhance the antivirus shield and provide additional services related to security and privacy.
The antivirus part has many options that you can change, but it is still quite easy for anyone to use, since there are blots of information next to most of the elements, so you will not wonder what will happen if you enable them.
In addition, both the definition and program updates are performed automatically (a manual option is also available), which means you can install Avast and let it do its own thing without worrying about whether you are running the latest and best version.
Avast is customizable and allows you to make changes to everything from emitting a sound when threats are detected and for how long notifications should remain on the screen, to the types of file extensions that should be analyzed.
Here are some more compatible features with Avast Free Antivirus:
- Scheduled scans
- Custom scans that can only verify memory, rootkits, automatic startup programs, etc.
- Checking all files or only certain file extensions
- Identify files by their content instead of their suffix
- Tuned heuristic sensitivity
- Scanning of potentially unwanted programs
- Follow shortcuts to scan the actual file
- You can scan within many file formats such as DOS and Win32 self-extracting executables, CHM, ACE, 7Z, RAR, TNEF transmissions, Mac files, ISO and more
- Windows Explorer context menu integration
- Folders, hard drives and URLs (but not specific files) can be previously excluded from scans
- Custom scans are easy to save for future use
- A Rescue Disk utility allows you to use the Avast scanner even if you cannot start your computer
- Particular areas of the program can be protected with a password
- Enable Do Not Disturb mode to deny notifications from other applications while using one in full screen mode.
Before installing Avast, you have the option to include more than a dozen different tools: file protection, behavior, web and mail; software updater, browser cleaner, rescue disk, Wi-Fi inspector, security and SafePrice browser extensions; password manager; junk file cleaner; and gameplay.
Technically, if you only want anti-malware protection, you can install only the shields from the beginning of that list; the others are complements that are not necessary but that could be useful at some point.
For example, the software updater is a good tool that will not only verify and report on outdated software, but also install the newest versions for you (even in bulk).
The Wi-Fi Inspector scans the network for devices that may be vulnerable to attacks. For example, you could identify that a computer is running a file sharing service that is known to facilitate the spread of a certain type of worm.
You can install these tools (it takes less than five minutes) and then disable or completely remove them later. Or, you can ignore them during installation and simply install them later, or not install them.
However, the password manager and cleaning tools are only trial versions that will expire after a limited time trial. There is also a firewall, file destroyer and sandbox function that cannot be used in this free version.
Avast Free Antivirus is compatible with Windows 10, 8 and 7.
Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition Software
What we like
- Drag and drop scan files and folders.
- Minimalist and tidy design.
- Simple to configure and execute.
What we don’t like
- Limited customization if you are looking for it.
- Great initial download of the program.
Our review of Bitdefender Antivirus Free Software
If you want an antivirus program that is not only free, but easy to use and not crowded with many buttons and menus, you should definitely try the free version of Bitdefender Antivirus.
Not only do you get instant protection against viruses, worms, rootkits, spyware and other threats, but also anti-phishing and anti-fraud protection to carry security with you when you browse the Internet and enter passwords.
It is remarkable how well Bitdefender works despite its minimalist design. Drag and drop folders and files directly into the program to run an analysis on them, as well as start a full system scan or analyze selected objects from the right-click context menu, all of which can be run at the same time.
Regardless of how they start or how many scans run simultaneously, a history of those scans will be recorded in the main program window, as well as within the Events area of the configuration.
The obvious disadvantage of a program that lacks many customization options is that there isn’t much you can change about it. It may be something you want, but it may not be available; All you can do with this edition of Bitdefender is start and stop the analysis.
Another disadvantage of this software is how long it takes to be ready for use. The initial Bitdefender installer is quite small, but that is just what is used to download the full program, which is hundreds of megabytes and could take a while if you have a slow internet connection.
It is also unfortunate that you cannot pause the scans (it only allows you to stop them) or configure file and folder exclusions before starting the scans as some AV programs allow. With Bitdefender, you can only mark files or websites as safe after they have been identified as potentially malicious.
The ads that ask you to buy Bitdefender professional programs and scheduled scans that are not compatible (but not necessarily necessary since Bitdefender is always looking for new threats) are some others not so good.
Bitdefender Antivirus Free software running on Windows 10, Windows 8 and Windows 7. You can also get this free antivirus software on your Android or Mac.
Free AVG AntiVirus Software
What we like
- It installs in a few minutes.
- Choose what to enable during setup.
- Automatic updates (definitions and program).
- You have total control over how things work.
What we don’t like
- It shows features that you cannot enable in the free version.
- Always advertise AVG Internet Security.
- It is not officially compatible with Windows Vista or XP.
Our review of AVG AntiVirus Free Software
The free AVG antivirus program is visually pleasing and even easier to use. The scan button is right in the middle of the screen, deactivating the functions is very simple and all the advanced options are hidden in the settings.
Like most antivirus tools, it allows you to schedule scans, check threats in files, remove viruses at the time they are found, scan USB drives, exclude files / folders / websites from scans and run scans during startup.
AVG AntiVirus Free is highly customizable. You can install it and leave the configuration alone for regular protection, or go to the configuration and make adjustments to almost anything.
Choose how to analyze files: include only content that may include malware (such as executable data), only files that use a file extension considered potentially dangerous (such as EXE) or all files, regardless of the type of content or file extension.
Enable rootkit detection, hardcore mode and CyberCapture technology, which helps detect threats in unrecognized files.
During configuration, you have full control over which components should be enabled or disabled after installing AVG. Options include File Shield, Behavior Shield, Web Shield, Email Shield, SafePrice browser extension, File Shredder, Cleanup and Do Not Disturb Mode.
AVG AntiVirus Free also includes a file shredding tool, which you can use from the right-click context menu to overwrite files using the Random Data, Gutmann or DoD 5220.22-M data destruction method.
Windows 10, 8 and 7 are supported. It also runs on Mac (10.10 Yosemite or higher) and Android (5.0 or higher).
Kaspersky Security Cloud Free Software
What we like
- Clean user interface that is easy to understand.
- Unique features that are not found in other programs.
- Protect your email.
- Many options that you can customize.
- Set up a scan schedule.
What we don’t like
- You must create a user account to activate the software.
- Several functions you see in the program are not free.
- You cannot exclude scans per file extension.
- Slow installation
- You must renew the free license every year.
Kaspersky Security Cloud Free is a good option for a free antivirus program if you want a simple program that has many features. It is easy to use and offers many advanced options if you want to analyze them.
This free AV program is also useful if your computer has few system resources. Kaspersky Security Cloud Free can automatically postpone scanning and reduce display animations if the CPU runs too high. It supports inactive scans for when you are away and allows you to favor protection performance by altering the level of general security.
It includes Self Defense, which is a function that blocks all attempts to change or delete processes, registry elements and Kaspersky installation files.
Other details worth mentioning:
- Search for rootkits and can remove malicious tools, adware, automatic bookmarks and suspicious packages.
- You can password protect the program to avoid changing your settings or to prevent it from being uninstalled or turned off
- Including a file and web scanner as well as Network Attack Blocker, System Watcher, and Mail Antivirus
- Supports game mode to suppress notifications while using any program in full screen mode
- The antivirus scanner automatically pauses when specific applications are started or during certain times of the day
- Choose what happens when a threat is detected: notify, disinfect, remove if disinfecting does not work or remove
- Automatically scan external drives or request to be scanned when inserted
- Schedule quick or full scans for each day, every weekend, every day of the week, weekly or monthly
- Choose what is scanned in a full, fast and selective scan. It can include any of the following: system memory, boot objects, disk boot sectors, system volume information, email, all hard drives, all external devices, all network drives, any folder.
- Skip items if the scan takes too long
- Accelerate antivirus scans by checking only new and modified files
- Exclude files and folders from scans and even avoid scanning specific threats
- Define reliable applications so they are not scanned.
The free Kaspersky antivirus program runs on Windows operating systems.
COMODO Free Antivirus Software
What we like
- The user interface can be adjusted to your comfort level.
- Many settings can be customized.
- Run programs virtually.
- Automatic updates for the program and virus definitions.
What we don’t like
- The settings are sometimes not saved after editing.
- It includes other programs and tools that you may not want.
Our Review for COMODO Antivirus Free
COMODO Antivirus stands out in several ways: it can be as simple or complex as you want depending on your level of experience with antivirus tools, it supports cloud-based scans to detect new threats, and the built-in sandbox technology can isolate the programs so that They cannot affect your files, even if they turn out to be malicious.
Right after installing this free COMODO antivirus program, a scan is started to make sure your computer is secure. You can also run analyzes at any time, be it fast analyzes, complete analyzes, analyzes of commonly infected areas and customized analyzes.
A custom scan in COMODO Antivirus allows you to choose which files or folders to scan and allows a large number of other customizations, such as unzipping and scanning files, using cloud scanning, automatically removing threats, enabling heuristic scanning, checking for threats running on memory, skip files of more than a maximum size, run the scan with full system resources, delete PuP and more.
The basic view for program configuration runs scans, unlocks applications, updates the program and runs the software in virtual mode, while the advanced view informs more details about those areas of the program and shows records, as well as alternates various things like HIPS and VirusScope
See the virtualization function in COMODO Antivirus. You can running any program you want in a virtual space completely, and separate it from the rest of your files. It is an opportunity to test an application to make sure it is real and not just a trick for you to install a virus. Start programs in this protected container from the COMODO program or right-click on an executable file and choose the option from the menu.
Here are some other features of COMODO Antivirus:
- Password protect the program
- Show a floating desktop widget
- Hide the update announcement
- Choose what types of storage files you want to unzip and scan
- Enable real-time scanning of files on the network
- Define the level of heuristic scanning (low, medium, high)
- Schedule scans as often as every hour or infrequently as once a month
- Customize the rules of HIPS
- Enable silent mode
- Force self-containment of suspicious or malicious files
- Use a unique password for the virtual desktop function
During setup, you can also install Internet Security Essentials to protect against major attacks in the middle.
COMODO Antivirus is officially compatible with Windows 10, Windows 8 and Windows 7. It is also available for macOS.
McAfee Total Protection Antivirus Free
What we like:
- Perfect malware protection
- Doesn’t drain resources
- Webcam monitoring
- Personal firewall
- Parental controls
What we don’t like
- Challenging to navigate
Our Review for McAfree Total Protection Software
For many years, McAfee ranked last in cybersecurity. It caused computers to crawl and infiltrate a lot of malware. However, since cutting ties with Intel in 2017, McAfee has worked hard to be more secure while using less computing resources, and it has been worth it. In the past two years, security testing labs have seen McAfee become one of the best in malware detection and protection. This year we can clearly see who wins first place
In addition to obtaining a perfect 100 percent in both protection and performance, which analyzes the slowdown it causes on your computer, McAfee has a long list of advanced security tools. This list includes a firewall that prevents hackers, spies and identity thieves from sneaking through your network and booting anyone who tries to steal or take advantage of your Internet connection. Your PC Boost scans your entire system for vulnerabilities. It searches for obsolete software programs and helps you update them, which makes ransomware attack difficult. Encrypt and save your files in McAfee online backup storage. Its robust parental controls allow you to manage when and for how long children can be online and what they have access to while they are there. Last but not least, McAfee webcam monitoring ensures that no person or software accesses your computer’s video camera without your permission.
Due to the large number of features included with McAfee Total Protection, it is a bit overwhelming to find some of them on the board. It took us a couple of hours of constant use to familiarize ourselves enough to find what we needed again later. Even then, some of them were not as intuitively located as we wanted, so it took some attempts to find them. Since most of the tools are already set up and enabled, there wasn’t much we needed to do to feel totally protected by McAfee Total Protection.
FortiClient Antivirus Free Download
What we like
- Tons of customizable options.
- No ads
- Automatic Updates.
- Useful information incorporated.
- Small installation file; It installs fast.
What we don’t like
- It runs only in Windows, and probably only in the most recent editions (not in XP).
Our review of Immunet AntiVirus
Immunet offers real-time protection for Windows. It has a slightly outdated interface, but the software is still up to date and even connects directly to the cloud for updates.
There are many options that you can enable or disable to customize the way the software works, but you can also leave all the default values and still check your computer for threats in real time.
These are some other features you get with Immunet:
- Detects and removes bots, viruses, worms, Trojans, keyloggers and spyware.
- Three scan modes allow you to verify only running processes (Flash Scan), any location you choose (Custom Scan) or the entire computer (Full Scan)
- Schedule any type of daily, weekly or monthly scan
- Start scans directly from Explorer in any folder or file
- A timeline shows the history of threats on the computer, up to 30 days in the past. There is also an extremely detailed history of events that have happened in the program that you can filter by date, keyword and type (such as quarantines, cleanings, blocked processes, etc.)
- It allows you to run a FlashScan right after installation to verify the registry and run processes for threats
- It includes a special blocking mode that prevents all programs from being installed unless they first pass a security scan
- The game mode prevents notifications of the program while watching movies or playing.
- Automatically excludes certain folders and file types from analyzes, including temporary folders and certain system32 folders
- Manually exclude any file, folder or threat (by name)
- Toggle scanned files and packaged files
- It runs along with many other antivirus programs, such as Comodo, Avira, AVG and Norton security software.
- Immunet AntiVirus has been tested on Windows 10, Windows 8 and Windows 7, as well as on Windows Server 2016/2012/2008 R2.
Smadav Free Antivirus Software
Smadav 2020 exe has a user interface with green-themed tabs. At the top, you will see a series of tabs: Scanner, Protection, Update, Tools, Settings and more. By clicking with these tabs, you can quickly discover all the performance that Smadav needs to provide.
There is a panel on the left side of the application interface. As I noted earlier, when using the free version you must support several restrictions. Not having the ability to hide this panel without being seen is just one of them.
To ensure that your COMPUTER is not infected, you can initiate a verification on demand. You can choose between a quick scan, a full scan, a system area check, a deep system area check. You can also choose the drives and folders that will be covered by the check.
Smadav also places a number of available tools. The System Editor captured my attention due to the fact that it allows you to select the items that will be displayed on the Start menu, allows you to customize Windows Traveler and also allows you to disable various system applications (work supervisor, punctual command, access keys Windows fast, show settings, Windows registry editor).
There are 2 editions of Smadav 2020 update to select: Smadav Free and Smadav Pro. As indicated above, the free variation comes with numerous restrictions: without automatic update, without access to advanced settings, you cannot hide the panel on the right side .
If you want an additional level of protection for your PC, get the Smadav protection service.
No doubt, it will take little effort and time to get Smadav running. The application has an easy to navigate tabbed user interface. There are some useful tools that you can access. There are several types of scans to choose from.
SmadAV is an additional antivirus that is designed for protecting your computer
1) Additional protection for your computer, 100% compatible with other antivirus software! It works with your main antivirus as an additional layer of defense.
2) The best USB antivirus (total protection USB drives) Prevents viruses that spread through USB memory drives.
3) The best for offline use (no need to update very often) Designed for use with computers that are rarely connected to the Internet or not even connected to the Internet. SmadAV doesn’t need to be updated as often as the other antivirus. (It is updated regularly once a month).
4) Cleaner and tools to clean the virus. SmadAV not only removes viruses, it can also solve registry problems on infected machines.
That’s all 10 the best antivirus 2019 for Windows.